Are you overwhelmed with wedding planning? Is it sucking your creative energy dry? Don’t worry, it’s normal and happens to everyone. Here’s a little secret...even your wedding vendors experience this at times. The good news is we vendors have learned ways to lift ourselves out of the rut and get our creative juices flowing again. These are 10 easy things you can do too!
- Find your creative space: It is any place you can go where you feel alive and find creative energy. It might be a coffee shop, a gallery, a park, the library, on the beach, a quiet spot in nature, secluded office with music, or a comfy chair with a glass of wine.
- Break it down into small, easy pieces: Write down what you want for the wedding. Break it down into all the pieces that have to come together. Choose just one easy piece you can do right now. Just do it one thing at a time!
- Free flow: Grab a pen and paper and start writing out all the wedding ideas that have been running wild in your head. It doesn’t have to make sense or be organized, but just get them out on paper as they come to you. When the ideas begin to slow down or stop, start a new page and bring an assemblance of order to everything you have written.
- Get outside, get your blood pumping: Go for a long walk, a hike, or run. It is amazing what fresh air and a little exercise can do for the health of your mind. When you return to the wedding planning you will notice how much more focused you feel.
- Delegate the things that are bogging you down: You don’t have to go it alone. Your friends and family want to help, so feel free to rely on them for the things you don’t want to worry about. No one can be good at everything and, chances are, you know someone who is already better at something you need to have done. A good wedding coordinator is also a valuable person to have on your team.
- Leave it alone: Just walk away from the planning for a while. Go out for a nice dinner with your fiance and commit to talking about anything in the world, except the wedding.
- If you aren’t excited about it, dump it: Brides often feel they have to include something because it’s the way it’s always been done or maybe what someone else expects. If you aren’t passionate about it, don’t waste your creative energy on it.
- Create a self-imposed deadline: Sometimes you just have to force yourself to dig in with a healthy sense of urgency. Actualize it by telling your family and friends what you are committing to. Broadcast your goal on social media. Set reminders and calendar items. Just get ‘er done!
- Explore something else: Get away from the details of the wedding and explore something new. It could be learning a new skill that can help you with something else wedding related. It could be just doing something else you enjoy or have always wanted to try. It could even be starting a book you’ve been meaning to make time for.
- Have a mini retreat: Plan a getaway to remove yourself from the daily bustle. Go somewhere you have never been. A place where you can unplug and get some rest...then see what happens.
Remember, your vendors attend weddings all the time and have creative ideas too! Contact us to see what we can do for your photography.